little monster

a celebration of all things charlie jorge

Thursday, January 13, 2005

gimme some skin

Its amazing the sorts of things you learn about yourself when you're pregnant - for example, I found out that twins runs in our family - and also because one of my relatives is Chinese then that makes me susceptible to thalassaemia which is a blood disorder that affects asians. Imagine my supportive dad-to-be smug smile turn to horror when I found out I had to have a blood test for this. They say that pregnancy is a sharing experience, and is based around giving and receiving, I didn't realise that this meant me giving my blood and receiving pain in return. There was nothing in the brochure about this.

Which brings me onto another point. Throughout my life whenever I've had to complete forms of any importance I always felt I needed to complete any references to race as white/caucasian. I since found out that Im officially in the 'other' category (yes the category normally reserved for confused drunks and aliens) - again because of my Chinese grandma.

Talking of which, I plan to tell the Chinese one today that she is going to be a great grandma. Being of Chinese origin, she is generally over supportive (although my mums stories of her letting me fall off the sofa onto my head contradicts this) so hopefully it will go ok. Watch this space.

Anyway, onto our pregnancy and from looking at our nice new pack for pregnant people (which will probably be used to scribble phone numbers on in a few weeks time but for now is very interesting and informative) apparently arms and legs growth was the big news for our baby last week - this week means that 'skin is in' and now a special layer has developed into what will become fingers and toenails - clever stuff.


6 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger the okay samaritan said…

    Thanks very much for your comment. I'll keep you posted!

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said…

    Your brother told me to come here, and to tell you that he had sent me.
    He obviously harbours resentment towards his new family member, as I am not the sort of person that I would want to be introducing to new parents.
    Anyway, since you did not seek nor even need my advice, here it is.
    Teach your child(ren) to be polite to Uncles. The term is "Uncle Asshole", not "Asshole".
    Education and all other forms of social conformity are to be avoided.
    You will become exactly the sort of narrow minded, intolerant and archaic beings that you thought your parents were.
    There.
    Now go and tell Watski not to send any more idiots over here.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Watski sent me -

    good luck

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Suzy Snow said…

    Congrats on the new baby! I'm one of the many people that lurk around your brother's page, so I had to come over and see what your blog was like.

    By the way, are you the same "Watski Jnr" that gets drunk and rings his brother in the middle of the night to talk about how drunk he is? See "Things That Ring In The Night" http://watski.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_watski_archive.html

    If you are, I'm sure your life will be a little different once your new little one arrives. Best of luck!

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Lou Lou said…

    uncle watski sent me!

    congratualtions to you both! It's all worth it beleive me...really it is.
    good luck

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Blogger ttt said…

    Watski sent me as well. Good luck because over the enxt few months you're going to have to be the most reasonable, flexible, caring, sharing considerate bloke around. So that makes one of the Watski's quite affable then. Your better half (the preganant one) will be 100 times more unpredictable than woman are normally. How scary is that. GJ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home