little monster

a celebration of all things charlie jorge

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Scan-Tastic!!

Today we saw our baby.

Pregnancy is full of cliches that make you squirm when youre an outsider looking in. Right from the moment that the luvvy-duvvy-happy couple first announce that "we're" pregnant. Or their non-commital answers to all of your questions that normally precede with a loving glance at each other, then down to the glowing bump. "We're not bothered what it is as long as its healthy" etc, etc. Pass me the bucket.

I always thought that I would have a different approach to pregnancy. Something of an honest dad-to-be. None of this, "as long as its healthy nonsense" more like, "as long as its a boy". And in all fairness, thats how it started. That was until today. Today was the day of our scan.

Firsttimegirl was feeling a bit anxious about today, I on the other hand with my cavalier, no-no-nonsense approach to pregnancy was more curious/excited than anything. "What can go wrong? Everything will be fine" etc, etc. I knew it was important to see whether our babys vital organs were intact, and indeed whether there are limbs where limbs are supposed to be. Short of that, I didnt see what all the fuss about.

So we entered the maternity ward of the hospital and after seeing the receptionist, we sat down in the waiting room surrounded by women with bumps, and their partners with one arm around them and the other hand on the bump. Both parents-to-be with cheshire cat stlye grins from ear to ear. Oh dear.

To cut a long story short; we were called in, sat down, sign this, whatever, do that, move over there, heres some cold jelly on the belly, this might be cold, oh my god its cold, look at the screen.

And there was my child.

Not only was this my child but from what I could see; it was only yawning and doing somersaults!

I was reduced to a mumbling reck, I couldnt muster the simplest of sentences. I cried. It was simply the most emotional experience I've ever had. (although theres more to come so Im told). So todays experience raised the stakes. Now we have something visible to work towards, and im sorry to say - when someone asked if we knew what sex the baby was, we glanced across at each other, I placed one arm around her, the other on her stomach and uttered the immortal words, "we're not bothered, as long as its healthy..."



boys will be boys Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home