little monster

a celebration of all things charlie jorge

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Daddy-Cool

“…then of course come the Bratz dolls and Mcfly cds…”

My work colleague growled to me as he recalled the amount of money he’s spent on his kids throughout the years. ‘Bratz’ dolls are apparently the new Barbie and Mcfly (although I’ve seen them briefly on top of the pops for about 5seconds before instantly switching ‘that nonsense’ over) are the new Busted who were the new Take That? Im not sure they were the new Take That but I wanted to get to safety ground before I realize that I’m more than 3 artists removed from a band I can recognize a tune of.

I’m sure that most people go through this thought process when approaching the birth of their first child, but it kinda got me thinking about the kind of world that we’re going to be bringing our child into. And just as importantly - whether I should position myself as a ‘cool-dad’. Sure, I’ll still have youth on my side but already I’ve started to grumble at all the needless gadgets that come with a mobile phone and firing off at anyone who even dares to call me 'm8' in a text or email.

And then I started thinking about what sort of things my child will take for granted, for example; they will not know of a world without the internet, mobile phones or ipods. He or she will never be a more than a mile away from a McDonalds. And whereas I was learning about World War II, Winston Churchill and Harold Wilson in my History lessons, my child will be learning about the Miners Stike, attacks on the Twin-Towers & Margaret Thatcher. This is history I’ve lived through.

But from now on it’s the new me (or the old me?) - I’m ready to start embracing this new wave of technology and music in preparation of being ‘cool-dad’ -although I’m not sure about the combat trousers just yet. I’ve already ordered my copy of the Busted album from Amazon and plan to upgrade my mobile phone at the weekend. So I’ll be in with the ‘in-crowd’ before you know it. Don’t be a square m8.


take that to busted in 3 moves

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home