little monster

a celebration of all things charlie jorge

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Midwife Crisis pt II - Midwife Strikes Back

So the news this week is that we've had our SECOND mid-wife appointment. Mixed feelings really. As you may recall, last time we visited the mid-wife it turns out that not only did firstimegirl need to have a needle stuck into her arm and blood taken - but I needed to as well. This was to help find a potential blood disorder assosiated with people from a mixed race, thalassaemia. I can only say, my pain was in vain.

Im not a big fan of needles (who is?) so I didnt see the funny side when the midwife, whilst sniggering, explained that I neednt have had the test after all as firsttimegirls tests proved negative. Meaning that even if my tests had been returned positive for thalassemia then it wouldnt have mattered anyway. Raising my head for support I then discovered them both wetting themselves laughing.

So firsttimegirl goes through the numerous questions that needs to be answered at these sessions, urine samples, blood pressure etc. yawn yawn... and then out of nowhere the midwife asks if we want to hear the baby - she's going to listen for a heartbeat!

Out comes a listening device with a sort of speaker/amplifier thing attached to it. 15 minutes later after only hearing the sounds of firsttimegirl wetting herself laughing (...again!) we managed to pick up a little hearbeat. magical. We didnt want it to end.. What a great little device. I want one!! So I did as all people would do in this situation; I looked on ebay. and to my astonishment, they're actually selling them! Theyre called a 'portable ultra-sound doppler' and you can pick one up for £60.

I was intrigued to see what else are they're selling on there so typed in the words, 'baby' and 'scan'.

Theres only someone on there selling their scan photos

What on earth would someone want to buy someone elses scan for?!! Aparently its a photo at 20 weeks and, "it looks like a baby driving a car" Need I say more? There wasnt a photo on the site, but can only imagine it looks something like this:

"if you squint your eyes you can see the steering wheel of a car"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home